In this edition:
Minimizing Anesthesia Exposure During Imaging: Improved Patient Safety, Better Access, Ease of Patient Preparation
The Start Without Anesthesia Program (SWAP) determines if children over the age of 5 are eligible to have an MRI, CT or other imaging modality without sedation. The program helps minimize exposure to anesthesia during a scan. Last year, 98 percent of the 300 children who tried the program succeeded.
In addition to improving patient safety, SWAP offers:
- Improved access: Access is easier, in part because a SWAP MRI appointment takes 30 minutes, whereas a sedated appointment can take up to 9s0 minutes.
- Ease of preparation: SWAP patients don’t have to fast before an MRI appointment.
- Lower cost: The cost of the scan decreases when anesthesia is not used.
Children are assessed in advance by a child life specialist to determine their coping skills. To refer a patient for a SWAP assessment, contact email@example.com. A child life specialist will then contact the family directly.
24/7 Emergency Department Consultations and Advice
Pediatric emergency medicine physicians at UCSF are available for consultations and advice to community physicians and emergency departments 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
Our pediatric emergency rooms in Oakland and San Francisco offer:
- Experts in pediatric emergency medicine who understand the nuances of caring for children
- Board-certified physicians in pediatric emergency medicine
- Nurses, ancillary staff and child life specialists trained in providing age-appropriate care for children
Immediate access is also available to any subspecialty a patient might need, including:
- Pediatric surgery
- Pediatric imaging
- Pediatric intensive care
- Pediatric anesthesiology
Refer patients by calling (877) UC-CHILD (877-822-4453). One call will get you to the right ED and a specialist who can help you determine how to manage your patient.